Summer 2021 has already arrived. Is your backyard ready for summer? For example, a backyard gazebo is a great opportunity to relax and work outside. Also, the gazebo will be a wonderful place for receiving guests.
A gazebo is a small architectural structure designed for leisure activities.
Types of gazebos
Open-type gazebos are similar to canopies and are roof supported by vertical supports. In the upper part, between the main posts, decorative crossbars in the form of arched lattices are attached. They give the structure additional stability and act as decorative elements. The entrance to such a gazebo is open from all sides since there is no fence at all. The complete openness of such gazebos is precisely their main disadvantage – they are used exclusively in summer.
A distinctive feature of half-open arbours is that they do not have solid walls: instead of them, a low fence is installed around the perimeter of the structure, which performs a decorative function. Such a gazebo is always erected on a foundation that does not allow rainwater to flood the floor. Pergolas of classical design have a polygon shape. In addition, round and rectangular structures can be classified as classics. Also, semi-open types include gazebo-pavilions, in which the back wall is always solid. The front wall is absent, or partially covered with a grating, and parapets-fences are installed at the ends (sometimes they are replaced with solid walls).
Closed types of gazebos resemble miniature houses and are equipped with windows and an entrance door. Glazing usually takes up most of the wall area, but it can consist of window frames, the dimensions of which are proportional to the dimensions of the building. If the room is planned to be used in the cold season, a stove or fireplace is installed to heat it.
Gazebo with oven
You can expand the functionality of the gazebo by equipping it with a stove. This will allow you to cook meat, fish, indoors, without separating from the company.
Types of stoves for gazebos:
- Brazier – is laid out from refractory bricks at the far wall of the gazebo. Also, you can use a portable metal grill.
- Barbecue – is laid out of bricks or wild stone and is very similar to the grill, only the meat is cooked not on skewers, but on grates. Barbecues are usually set in the center of the gazebo.
- The stove is a multifunctional structure that is used to equip fairly spacious rooms. The stove can be placed both in a closed and in an open gazebo. The downside is that it is inconvenient to use the stove in hot weather because of the heat it radiates.
- Kazan – a cast-iron cauldron is inserted into the upper opening of the hearth made of stone or brick.
- Grill oven – you can install an electric oven or its mobile gas counterpart.
- Fireplace – is arranged in gazebos of a closed type for heating the room. By placing a metal stand inside the hearth, an open fire can be used to cook many dishes.
- Smokehouse – usually in a gazebo it is not arranged as an independent type of oven but is combined with a brazier, barbecue or fireplace. In it, you can smoke sausages, bacon or other product to give a lightly smoked flavour.
Where to put the gazebo
The main factor influencing the choice of a place for a gazebo is its purpose. If you plan to arrange dinners in it, it is better to place it closer to home in order to simplify the process of table setting. Also, the gazebo can be one of the details of an extensive recreation area, which includes various pergolas, a sofa area, a dining area, a sports and children’s playground, as well as flower arrangements with waterfalls and stones.
Materials for the construction of gazebos
The appearance of the gazebo depends on the material from which it is made. Stone buildings are more solid and massive. Since the stone comes from nature, it naturally blends into the natural landscape. It is also recommended to use it when the garden is decorated in eco style. Buildings made of “strict” bricks are distinguished by their geometricity and regularity of lines and almost always have the shape of a rectangle. Despite the conservatism of the material, it is quite versatile and suitable for building a gazebo in a garden decorated in almost any style.
Also, auxiliary materials are used in the construction of gazebos: PVC awnings, slate, plastic gratings. Usually, vinyl gazebos are made of white plastic, which resembles painted wood from a distance. The convenience of such products is that they can be carried, disassembled and reassembled. The neutrality of the colour allows them to be combined with any landscape.
Don’t forget to make walkways that lead from the house and other buildings to your gazebo. Have a good rest and wonderful impressions!